How to Use a Custom Email Address with Gmail for Business Email
Email is still the best way to communicate in business. We use email every day for our business or profession, and it is the preferred form of communication for business contacts.
Have you ever thought that your emails could have more impact if your email address looked professional?
A professional email address should have @yourwebsite.com instead of @gmail.com at the end. So, instead of [email protected], your email would appear to come from [email protected] For example, instead of [email protected], your emails would appear to come from [email protected]
To create a professional email address using Gmail, you must have a custom domain name. Once you have that, keep reading to learn how to configure Gmail to use a custom domain name!
Benefits of a Professional Email Address
If you run a business or offer services, it’s a good idea to use a professional email address instead of a free one if you can.
Here are the main benefits of a professional email address (including but not limited to):
- It makes you look legit and gives you an air of professionalism.
- It promotes your brand and acts as an advertisement for your domain.
- It is less likely to be hacked than free email addresses.
What you need to create a professional email address
To create a professional email address, you need to have two things.
The first thing is a domain name, and the second thing is web hosting. We recommend the following web hosting service providers due to their many advantages:
Steps to Create a Professional Email Address
Are you ready to create your new email address? Here’s how:
- Log in to your web hosting account. Once logged in, select the domain property for which you want to create your business email address.
- In your cPanel, navigate to the email setup page.
- Click on “Email Accounts” and find the section where you can create a new email account.
- Your host already provides you with the @yourdomain.com. Just enter your name above @yourdomain.com.
- Choose your password and confirm it before continuing.
- Select the “Unlimited Mail Quota” before clicking the “Create Account” button.
To note: The specific individual steps may change depending on the web hosting provider you use, but the idea and the procedure are basically the same no matter what.
So ! You have just created your professional email address. Now we need to pair it with Gmail so you can use it with Gmail, allowing you to use Gmail to send email using @yourdomain.com instead of @gmail.com.
Set up Gmail with your personalized email address
Follow these steps to link your new work email ID to Gmail:
- Log in to your Gmail account and go to “Settings” in the upper right corner.
- Click on “See all settings”.
- Click on the “Accounts and Import” tab at the top.
- Scroll down to find “Check mail from other accounts” and click “Add mail account”.
- You will see a yellow pop-up window. Here you need to fill in the professional email address you created on your web hosting and then click “Next”.
- Click “Next” with the “POP3” option selected.
- In the next window, fill in the same username and password that you filled in your web hosting.
- Make sure the POP server says “mail.yourwebsite.com” and check the “Label incoming messages” box.
- Click on “Add an account” then check “Yes” for sending mail.
How to create an alias in Gmail
An alias is the name you see when you receive an email. You can choose whether it’s your first name, first and last name, brand name or any other name you want.
For example, you can create a customer service email address and name your alias “Customer Support.” Your email might be [email protected], and when your customers see your email in their inbox, they might see “Customer Support” as the sender in their inbox.
Once your work email address has been created and linked to Gmail, you will be asked to add an alias:
- Do not uncheck the “Treat as an alias” box when the window appears.
- Enter the alias name you want your customers to see when you send emails. Click “Next step”.
- Add the same username and password you used before for your web hosting and association with Gmail.
- Use the TLS method and click “Add Account”.
Verifying your new email account
Once you’ve created your work email account and linked it to Gmail, you need to verify it to start sending and receiving emails. To do this, you must:
- Go to the “Accounts and import” tab in the settings.
- Scroll down to “Check mail from other accounts” again, then click “Check mail now”.
- You will now see that you have a new email. The new email you see is an email that Gmail sends to you for verification. Initially, you need to check your emails as this is a new account and has no activity history. Once you start sending and receiving emails to this email account, you won’t have to do it manually.
- Go to your inbox and you will see the Gmail team email. This email contains a link and a one-time password that you must use for verification.
- Click on the link and it will open a new window. Click “Confirm” and close the window.
- You will find a code at the end of this email, and you must copy it before pasting it into the yellow window where it asks for your verification code.
Test your new business email with Gmail
Now that you’ve finished creating and associating your new business email address, it’s time to test it before going live.
Use any other email account you may have and send yourself a test email to your new work email address. Also, be sure to send an email response from your new email account to ensure it is capable of both receiving AND sending emails.
Now that you’ve tested your new work email account, hopefully everything is going well. You can now use your work email address to send and receive work emails for your business.
You no longer have to email businesses and feel discouraged when you don’t get a response just because your email is from @gmail.com!
Enjoy the benefits of a professional email address
These steps may seem daunting to some of you, but believe me, it should only take about 15-20 minutes of your time. The benefits and rewards you will reap from investing those few minutes in creating your professional email address on Gmail are invaluable.
I have personally benefited a lot from having a professional email address, and the benefits are countless. Get yourself a new professional email address right away and climb the ladder of professionalism and success!